Thursday, October 9, 2008

A lesson in Frugality

Katie and I have been on a money-saving tear lately (except for buying a new car.....whoops) and it all started with a little tip from the Nunley. We were at their house and talking about Comcast and how expensive they are, and he told me that you can just call them and ask for a lower monthly bill, and they will do it.

At first, I was a little skeptical. But after some internet research, the approach was proving itself to work for others. So, unless you like paying more money than you should, you should pick up the phone and call your cable provider and ask for lower rates.

The way I did it was this:
- Call Comcast (either the local number or the toll-free 800 number)
- From there, I would recommend going into the "If you want to cancel service...."
The reps that answer the phone in that department are usually going to offer you more to keep your business with Comcast.
- Once they answered, I basically told them I thought I was paying too much and was thinking about switching companies. After less than 5 minutes of talking about where to trim, we have cut off $34 a month from our bill forever, and they also threw in a $15 credit for the next 6 months. I think they called it a "Customer appreciation" credit.

We lost everything between channels 100 and 200....saved us $16 a month. Sorry Encore, your movies just aren't worth it.
We also downgraded our internet package to something slower and haven't noticed a difference yet.....saved us $18 a month.

$50 bucks a month in our pockets for the next 6 months? I think so. If you have tried this, leave your story in the comments. If you haven't tried it, what are you waiting for?!?!


I think we're on our way....

4 comments:

  1. Well Justin, I am sad to say that our Comcast bill recently returned to $140 mth, because our "promotions" or whatever break they were giving us finally ran out. We called, not once but twice, threatening to cancel. They called our bluff and we ended up disconnecting as of Monday. We now have internet through at&t and the dish will be installed tomorrow. All in all we are saving tons...the dish is way cheaper than comcast. So, if they try to pull a fast one on you just know that you've got options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the above post was courtesy of elizabeth...a nunley, but certainly not THE nunley (which i'm sure you could tell, due to lack of typos).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got rid of Comcast too. We have AT&T and DirecTV now. I thought we could save some money doing that, but it ends up about the same. I may have to try the strongarm.

    I'd say one of the biggest ways we've been able to save money over the past few months (besides only having one car) has been planning our meals at home and not eating out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear that on Comcast. They recently up'ed my rates after my "intro" offer expired. I called them on it and they reduced it back to the norm and credited me the overages. I looked into the dish, but I was unsure about the contract agreements, especially with DirecTV. Comcast knows that they'll never be able to get people to commit to contracts like a dish provider so they have to be willing to negotiate. They make crazy money off even their reduced prices.

    ReplyDelete