Wednesday, May 28, 2008

iPod Roulette


I've seen this done on other blogs, so I wanted to introduce you all to it.
Basically, put your iPod (or other music player) on shuffle, and make a note of the first 10 songs that come up. Make no exceptions, no apologies. Hopefully the NSync or Dionne Warwick doesn't come up for you....but its almost a guarantee to have at least 1 song you are ashamed of. So, here we go....

1. Born on the Bayou - Credence Clearwater Revival
Not a bad start, My parents have CCR CD's, so this makes me think of them. John Fogerty is a good songwriter, and was the only reason CCR made it big.

2. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
A nice instrumental piece, I always want to learn to play piano when I hear this. Song makes me think of middle school, because I bought this and listened to it all the time in 6th or 7th grade. One of my first CD purchases (Weezer's Blue Album was the first)

3. Lorelei - STYX
Not my favorite Styx song, but because of their other songs its something I can tolerate.

4. February Stars (from the Skin and Bones live acoustic album) - Foo Fighters
I have recently (in the last 6 months) become a HUGE Foo Fighters fan. I purchased There is Nothing Left to Lose when it came out, but have purchased all their other albums since then and this is a great one. Check it out.

5. The Pieces Don't Fit Anymore - James Morrison
Katie and I heard James on the concert for Diana last summer, and she wanted to buy his album. Its actually not bad, I decided to keep it on my iPod as well as putting it on hers. Seeing him live reveals his atrocious teeth, but he's English. It's to be expected.

6. Intervention - The Arcade Fire
I have to thank Adam for telling me about AF. This has become one of my favorite new bands and this is a great tune. Favorite line: "Who's gonna reset the bone?"

7. Pudding Time - Primus
Primus is another band I grew up listening to and then rediscovered. Again, thanks to Adam for the extensive Primus library.

8. My Little Man - Ozzy Osbourne
Sitar opening, always good. Just found out this song was a collaboration with Steve Vai. It makes me like it more.

9. It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.
2 Things: Tommy Boy and Leonard Bernstein

10. Superman Song - Crash Test Dummies
Funny story on this one. I was a DJ on WTTU radio 88.5 in college for a few months, which I REALLY liked doing. We (Andrew and I) would take requests, and when no one would call in we would call people and tell them to call in or dedicate songs to them. We found it to be hilarious and groundbreaking radio. One day, we called someone and dedicated this song to them. And I played the wrong song. So, I stopped it in mid-song (which we were told never to do) and played the right one. Looking at it in print, its not as funny. But it was hilarious in the studio.

Give us your 10 in the comments, and don't be ashamed of your music.

6 comments:

  1. My Ipod roulette (actually it's my Winamp roulette, because I'm stuck in 2002). The majority of the songs were downloading illegally back when Napster was huge:

    1. James Taylor-Fire and Rain
    2. Warrant-Heaven
    3. REM-It's the End of the World (oh, the irony)
    4. John Mayer-Waiting on the World
    5. Shane and Shane-God Did
    6. CampQuest-War Crys (Thanks, Nunley)
    7. Sublime-Santaria
    8. Kenny Rogers-The Gambler
    9. Ed Cash-Every Step of the Way
    10. Counting Crows-Have You Seen Me Lately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mentioning of The Superman Song gave me an idea for my our new baby should it be a boy:

    Solomon Grundy Stacy

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the name. Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I can't sleep...figured I'd give this a go even though I KNOW I'll have some embarrassing songs pop up. Here goes!

    1. O.A.R. - I Feel Home
    2. Jason Mraz - Life is Wonderful
    3. Jennifer Knapp - All Consuming Fire
    4. Bone Thugs N Harmony - Ghetto Cowboy
    5. Lyle Lovett - If I Had a Boat
    6. Ben Harper - The Drugs Don't Work
    7. Beyonce - Check On It
    8. Cross Canadian Ragweed - Sick and Tired
    9. Eric Cartman - O Holy Night
    10. Ben Harper - Excuse Me Mr.

    Not too bad! 3 of those were songs Kenneth downloaded...would you like to guess which ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. I don't have my ipod with me or else I would. Pretty safe bet Ursh-er would be in there. I finally got a link to your blog on my blog!

    ReplyDelete